Civil Defence Service unit, Anstey Hall, c. 1941. Source: Richard Haynes.
Group of Civil Defence Service men and women in the courtyard in front of the entrance to Anstey Hall, c. 1941. Source: Richard Haynes.
In May 2020, Richard Haynes sent this photograph of a group of Trumpington Civil Defence Service men and women, in the courtyard in front of the entrance to Anstey Hall. Richard has observed that badges on the uniforms are Civil Defence (CD), which dates it to c. 1941. Richard’s father, Ted Haynes, is second row back, fourth from left. The family lived at 29 Shelford Road during the War.
The Civil Defence Service was a civilian volunteer service. It was established in 1935 as Air Raid Precautions (ARP) and renamed the Civil Defence Service (CD) in 1941. It included the ARP Wardens Service, fire watchers and first aid post and stretcher parties. See Wikipedia and BBC notes.
If you can help identify anyone in the photograph, or have recollections or family memorabilia of the Civil Defence Service, please let us know.