Rededication of Henry Fawcett’s Grave, 1 April 2009
The rededication of Henry Fawcett’s grave at the Church of St Mary and St Michael, Trumpington, took place on 1 April 2009. This followed the renovation of the grave, which had deteriorated in the 125 years since Fawcett’s death in November 1884.
A group of 30 people processed around the graveyard, led by Reverend Dr Jeremy Morris, Dean of Fawcett’s college, Trinity Hall, and Graeme Minto and Dr Clare Bartlett, the Churchwardens. Once assembled beside the grave, Dr Morris read a brief eulogy and psalm and said two prayers. The group joined in the Lord’s Prayer and Blessing. With a final wish for Henry Fawcett to rest in peace, the group processed into the Church for a short reception. Peter Dawson read a tribute from the Life of Henry Fawcett , by Leslie Stephen, a friend of Fawcett. The group raised a toast to the great man.
The group included members of the Fawcett and Garrett families, who had brought pictures and family trees to show and were able to view the Fawcett window and a display panel produced by the Local History Group.
There was much appreciation of the renovation of the grave that had been carried out by Hibbitt & Sons, monumental masons.
Peter Dawson led the renovation project on behalf of the Local History Group. He has also written Henry Fawcett, Man of Vision .
Rededication of Henry Fawcett’s grave: Graeme Minto, Reverend Dr Jeremy Morris and Dr Clare Bartlett. Photo: Stephen Brown, 1 April 2009.
Henry Fawcett’s grave, before and after renovation, completed in 2009. Photos: Stephen Brown