The third of the Trinity Hall milestones on the route from Cambridge to Barkway was replaced close to its original location in May 2011. Originally installed in 1729, the milestone had to be moved from its location on Hauxton Road while the Addenbrooke’s Road/Hauxton Road junction was constructed. It was held in storage, repainted and placed on a new plinth by Ivett and Reed.
The third Trinity Hall milestone after its unveiling, 26 May 2011. Photo: Stephen Brown.
In a brief ceremony on 26 May 2011, Professor Sir Roy Calne and local historian Ken Fletcher unveiled the milestone. Speaking on behalf of the County Council, Mike Davies thanked Ken Fletcher for his advice on the history of the milestone. Sir Roy explained that Trinity Hall had received an ancient legacy from a Fellow to maintain the route and that the milestone incorporated a crescent which was derived from the coat of arms of the founder of the college, Bishop William Bateman. Ken Fletcher said that this stone represented the history of the area from the 18th century to the present. The milestone had been in place since MDCCXXIX (1729). The stone showed evidence of wear: ‘Cambridge’ was removed during World War II and recut after the War and the lower text with the date had unfortunately been lost when the stone was damaged in June 2000. Ken congratulated the County Council for the care that had been taken during the road works. Howard Slatter and other members of the Local History Group applauded the return to the milestone.
Left: Professor Sir Roy Calne (Trinity Hall) and Mike Davies (Cambridgeshire County Council). Right: Professor Sir Roy Calne and Ken Fletcher. Unveiling of the third Trinity Hall milestone, 26 May 2011. Photos: Andrew Roberts.
Howard Slatter, Professor Sir Roy Calne and Ken Fletcher at the unveiling of the third Trinity Hall milestone, 26 May 2011. Photo: Stephen Brown.
Group at the unveiling of the third Trinity Hall milestone, 26 May 2011. Photo: Stephen Brown.