The changing face of Shelford Road shops: the nature of the handful of shops has evolved over the last 100 years, reflecting changes in society. This note is one of a series about traders , based on a presentation given at a Group meeting on 11 October 2012.
Shelford Road from the Hauxton Road junction, early 1950s. Source: Arthur Brookes.
Shelford Road had no shortage of Boot Repairers and Ladies hairdressers and people also advertised their profession even if they worked elsewhere.
4 Bishops Road (near the corner of Shelford Road): 1924 Mrs Richardson general store, later managed by Mrs Rolph. Mrs Richardson was famed for her homemade ice cream. In the 1970s, the shop was empty before becoming a dental practice, now Dr D. Abdah & Associates.
Mrs Richardson’s general store, 4 Bishop’s Road, early 1930s. Cambridgeshire Collection.
Dental surgery, 4 Bishop’s Road, 2002. Stephen Brown.
132 Shelford Road: now Design Matters design shop, previously a cycle shop, antique shop, ladies hairdressers run by sisters Joyce and Mary Boot, with Mary Boot’s husband Peter Dean building a gent’s saloon at the rear. In 1935, it was Gilbert’s Butchers.
Design Matters, 132 Shelford Road, 2012. Arthur Brookes.
150 Shelford Road: this has had seven users, now Trumpington Food and Wine, previously My Wine, Threshers, Augustus Barnett, Mr Styles, Cecil Pitman and before that Cherry Stores. Pitman’s was a grocer famed for home cooked hams; Cherries Stores was known as a family store. The shop has gone from being privately owned to a chain and now back to an independent shop and flat.
Trumpington Food and Wine, 150 Shelford Road, 2012. Arthur Brookes.
158 Shelford Road: 1935: Bert Carter Automotive Engineer 1960s: C.W. Fletcher also of Shelford 1967: Richard Wells, in 1970 this was extended when adjoining houses were demolished 1991: Buckingham and Stanley, which also had a good general store for newspapers, milk etc.
Bert Carter’s garage, 158 Shelford Road, early 1930s. Cambridgeshire Collection.
C.W. Fletcher garage, 158 Shelford Road, early 1960s. Edmund Brookes.
Richard Wells garage, 158 Shelford Road, early 1970s. Edmund Brookes.
Buckingham and Stanley garage, 158 Shelford Road, 2012. Arthur Brookes.