Display panel about the history of the Village Hall, Centenary Exhibition, October 2008. Photo: Stephen Brown.
“This corner stone was laid on Tuesday Feb.11.1908 by Mrs Patience Frances Sophia Pemberton lady of the manor of Trumpington and giver of the site, in the hope & with the prayer that by God’s blessing the building of which it forms a part may, as it is intended to do, promote the religious moral & intellectual welfare of the village of Trumpington.
Architect Walter H. Brierley. York.
Builder. William Saint. Cambridge.”
Corner foundation stone. Photo: Stephen Brown.
Date mark above the entrance door. Photo: Andrew Roberts.
written by the headmaster and children, January 1909
Events during 1908 at Trumpington
Ernest Haslop, aged 10 years
Cannon Pemberton had a new reading room built for the men to go to at night. It is called the Village Hall and the Trumpington Men’s Institute. It can be divided into two parts, by pushing some folding door back. The site on which it is built on was Mr Pembertons. It was begun to be built early in March
May Stearn, aged 11 years
A nice large room has been built which is called Trumpington Men’s Institute to which about 60 men have joined. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs Pemberton and she was presented with a silver trowel.
Gertrude Bass, aged 11 years
An Institute was built opposite the Post Office for young men to go in the evenings instead of going to the public house.
Charles Chamberlain, aged 12 years
The Institute is for men to go to at night, to play games such as billiards, wist, draughts and cards and they can read the daily papers.
Canon and Mrs Pemberton. Photo: Antony Pemberton.
Invitation to the opening meeting on 22 October 1908, to be addressed by Canon Pemberton and the Vicar. Source: Village Hall archive.
West and north elevations of the original building, Walter Brierley. Source: Village Hall archive.