Display panel about the history of the Village Hall, Centenary Exhibition, October 2008. Photo: Stephen Brown.
The Trumpington Friendship Club for the over 60s was started by Lady Rotherham in May 1948. It met in the Village Hall every Friday from 3-5 pm. A year later it had 116 members. In Christmas 1950, Lady Rotherham made a party hat for each member. At subsequent parties, members made their own hats and there was keen competition to produce the best, often on a given theme. Photo: Bert Truelove.
Also in May 1948, there was a formal agreement between the Trustees and the Trumpington British Legion Social Club to let the Billiard Room, Reading Room and Hut plus the offices on an annual tenancy. Source: Village Hall archive.
In July 1949, letters were received from the Trumpington Sports Association asking whether the Trustees would allow the Football Club to use the cloakrooms as dressing rooms, as there was no dressing accommodation on the Recreation ground. Source: Village Hall archive.
In November 1949, F.W.W. Pemberton agreed to the farm road to Manor Farm being used for access to a scout hut at the rear of the Hall. Source: Village Hall archive.
In January 1950, the Secretary of the Trumpington Friendship Club asked for a seat to be placed in the garden of the Hall for the old people who are members of the Club. Mrs Pemberton annotated the letter to say that she would lend her own seat and the Trustees agreed to accept Mrs Pemberton’s offer of a bench to be placed outside the Hall. Source: Village Hall archive.
Members of the British Legion outside the Hall. Photo: Brenda Bass.
Hawkey Supper, Trumpington Young Farmers Club, 3 October 1959.
Wedding reception of Maurice and Brenda Bass, 20 June 1959. The screens, courtesy of the Mother and Baby Clinic, hide the clutter on the stage. Photo: Brenda Bass.
Produce shows in the Hall were a regular feature of both the British Legion and the Horticultural Society. This shows the Trumpington British Legion Horticultural Show in the Hall, 11 September 1956, showing the layout of the room and illustrations on the walls, with Stan Newell facing right in the middle distance. Photo: Brenda Bass.
Wedding reception of Ted and Mary Cox, 19 July 1958. Photo: Mary Cox.