South of the Village Centre
Changes on the South Side of Trumpington Since the 19th Century
Walk or cycle 3.6 miles/5.8 kms: walk on pavements and footpaths; cycle on roads and dual use paths
This is one of a series of history trails about Trumpington and its links to surrounding villages and Cambridge. We hope that long-established and new residents will find the trails to be a fascinating way to discover more about the history of the area.
The trails have been developed by the Trumpington Residents’ Association and the Trumpington Local History Group, with support from Cambridge City Council. The project is led by Andrew Roberts and Howard Slatter.
Printed copies available free of charge from The Clay Farm Centre (2017) and Trumpington Pavilion.
Contact the Local History Group with feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Download a PDF version of the trail or continue with the route …
Glebe Farm, 1964. Maurice Rayner (Stephen Brown) (stop 5).
Removing railway track, Shelford Road, 1969. Margaret Marrs (Stephen Brown) (stop 11).
Growing semi-dwarf wheats at the PBI, with Dr Francis Lupton. John Innes Archive, courtesy John Innes Foundation (stops 12-15).
Prisoner of War Camp, 1940s, looking west from Hauxton Road. Brother Herbert Kaden (stop 4).
© TLHG and TRA, September 2016.
Go from the green to the High Street, turn left and go to the junction. Cross Shelford Road to the open space at the start of Hauxton Road.
2. Hauxton Road
The land to the left was allocated to the Parish Church when Trumpington was enclosed in 1809. The cemetery opened in 1893 when the road from here to Hauxton Mill was still through countryside (cover photograph). Continue along Hauxton Road. The cul-de-sac of single-storey homes, Allen Court, was built for retired clergy in 1964, with breeze blocks used as garden walls. The houses on the left date from about 1930, when there were allotments to the rear. Cross to the other side of the road at the traffic lights and continue along Hauxton Road to the bridge.
3. Hauxton Road railway bridge
The bridge was constructed as part of the Cambridge-Bedford railway, opened in 1862, in the cutting now used by the Busway, opened in 2011. The final part of the cutting to the right has been filled in: the line ran across Anstey Hall Farm to a river bridge. Continue to the road into the Trumpington Park & Ride site which opened in 2001. Cross this junction, go along Hauxton Road and stop at the milestone.
4. Turnpike Milestone and PoW Camp
The milestone was erected by Trinity Hall in 1729, the third on the Cambridge-Barkway turnpike (Trails 2, 7). The land to the right was part of Anstey Hall Farm and then the Plant Breeding Institute. It is crossed by the M11, opened in 1979 (Trail 7). Looking to the right towards the M11, the 1940s PoW Camp was to the left of the path/road which goes to the right (Feature C). Cross Hauxton Road at the junction, to the start of Addenbrooke’s Road.
5. Addenbrooke’s Road and Glebe Farm
Addenbrooke’s Road, opened in 2010, creating a new edge to Cambridge. The land on the left was farmed until 2010, then developed for housing by Countryside Properties, with the first homes completed in 2012. This was Vicarage Farm, later Glebe Farm, allocated to the Church on enclosure in 1809. Glebe Farm was a dairy farm until the mid 1970s when it became an arable farm with cereals, rape and beans. Take the first left and go along Beech Drive to the green space, turn right and continue past two other green spaces. Turn right to return to Addenbrooke’s Road and continue left to Shelford Road.
Route map: Howard Slatter.
This junction was completed in 2010, after the demolition of one house on this side of the road and two semi-detached houses on the other side. Shelford Road is on the line of the Cambridge- Great Chesterford turnpike (Trail 8). Apart from the farm, there were no houses along the road to Great Shelford until the early 1900s. Continue across the junction and go to the roundabout.
7. Clay Farm and the Showground
Most of the land this side of Shelford Road was allocated to the Pemberton family on enclosure in 1809. This part of Clay Farm was known as the Showground, as the Royal Show was held here (Feature D). It was a large arable field until 2007, when work started on Addenbrooke’s Road. The first homes in Countryside’s Abode development were completed in 2012. Addenbrooke’s Road goes right (Trail 8), but follow Hobson Avenue straight ahead, completed in 2013. The lime trees were planted in 2011, when they were 20 year old specimens.
8. Community Garden and Hobson’s Park
Continue past the site of a new primary school on the left to a crossing point where a Community Garden is being developed. If the path to the right is open, go right to Hobson’s Brook, along the line of an old farm track which started in the village (Trail 3, 10). This part of Hobson’s Park opened in 2016-17 (Trail 5). Return to Hobson Avenue and continue to the Busway. If the first path to the park was closed, turn right along the Busway path to another access (Trail 5), then return to Hobson Square.
9. Hobson Square and Clay Farm Centre
Hobson Square and the Clay Farm Centre open from 2016-17, with the ‘Bronze House’ sculpture as the centrepiece of the square (Trail 4, 5). The Centre has a library, hall, community rooms, café and health centre. Continue left along the Busway path, with the Virido development to the right of the path, including high-spec sustainable homes. The tree belt on the left was planted alongside the former railway line in the 1980s.
Harvesting on Clay Farm, near Hobson’s Brook, August 2007. Andrew Roberts (stop 9).
The Busway opened in 2011, following the Cambridge-Bedford railway route from Cambridge Station to Trumpington Park & Ride site. There is a time capsule buried in the pavement at the bus stop, marked by a ‘green man’. Continue along the Busway path.
11. Railway/Busway cutting
The area to the right is a Community Orchard and Foster Road Allotments (Trail 5). The cutting dates from the original railway, reused 150 years later for the Busway. After the railway track was removed, the cutting became a nature reserve, with an open stream to the right (now enclosed). There is also a buried high-pressure gas main and a buried pipe bringing water from the river for use by the farm. The stream and services were a challenge when the Busway was constructed, with the beams forming the track being laid over protective slabs. Go under the old railway bridges (carrying Shelford Road and Hauxton Road) and follow the path up the slope, turn sharp right and cross the road. Go on the path along the perimeter of the Park & Ride site.
12. Trumpington Meadows
The homes to the right were the first phase of Trumpington Meadows developed by Grosvenor and Barratt Homes, completed from 2012. Go beyond the John Lewis building past a play area on the right to Osprey Drive. Trumpington Meadows Primary School is on the left, opened in 2013, with a local centre and shops being built straight ahead. Go right along Osprey Drive, with a view to the tower of Trumpington Church. Osprey, Consort, Charger and other local street names are derived from crops developed by PBI. Turn left into Charger Road, to the Country Park.
13. Trumpington Meadows Country Park
The Country Park opened in 2015, with paths giving access to Byron’s Pool, the riverside and Grantchester (Trail 6). Return to Osprey Drive and continue straight ahead along Consort Avenue to the green space and play area.
14. Anstey Hall
Anstey Hall is to the left through the trees, with the current house dating from about 1670, on the site of a Medieval manor (Trails 1, 6). Nearly all the land this side of Hauxton Road, from here as far as Hauxton Mill, was allocated to Christopher Anstey on enclosure in 1809, forming Anstey Hall Farm. Continue along Consort Avenue.
15. Plant Breeding Institute (PBI)
The PBI had glasshouses, workshops, etc., across the site, with its headquarters building near Hauxton Road (Feature B). A golden brick has been built into the wall of 88 properties, to show the intersection of new homes with the old PBI buildings, as at 39 Consort Avenue. Approaching the Hauxton Road junction, go left on the bus road, to the entrance into the Waitrose store.
16. Waitrose and Anstey Hall
The driveway from Maris Lane to PBI disappeared under the car park when Waitrose was built in 2000. The roofline of Anstey Hall can be seen to the left across the car park. Return to Hauxton Road and turn left. Go beside the former tollhouse and weighbridge house (Trail 2) and cross the road to return to Anstey Way.
Aerial view of the 1961 Royal Show, located on the farmland between the London railway line and Shelford Road, with the Cambridge-Bedford railway cutting and the estate to the right. Antony Pemberton (stop 7).
Shepherd and flock on the Cambridge to London road (Hauxton Road), c. 1890. Photograph: Cambridgeshire Collection (stop 2).